One City Fund raises over £90k for city’s most vulnerable
A fundraising campaign aimed at supporting Wolverhampton’s most vulnerable during the Covid-19 crisis has raised an incredible £90,746.
Organisations across the City of Wolverhampton joined forces at the start of the pandemic to launch the crowdfund initiative to support struggling families and individuals throughout this difficult time.
A total of four campaigns were run under the One City Fund umbrella, each with a particular focus - people facing severe financial hardship as a result of Covid-19, raising vital funds to support the increased demand on the city’s food banks, supporting the homeless and helping people who have no access to technology to access important services or information.
The initiative was a collaboration between City of Wolverhampton Council, the Wolverhampton Voluntary Sector Council (WVCS) and local organisations.
Over 250 individuals and businesses contributed to the fund; their donations have gone directly to over 15 local, not-for-profit organisations supporting people in need throughout the city, so they can get the help they need during this difficult time.
The final campaign, ‘Stay Connected’, concluded last month (August 28), raising over £15,000 for local charities supporting individuals facing isolation as a result of digital exclusion, including the Refugee and Migrant Centre, Wolverhampton Samaritans, Gazebo Theatre and Wolverhampton Learning Platform. 60% of the funds raised will be distributed to partner organisations. The remaining 40% is available as small grants to grassroots community groups supporting local people during the crisis.
Leader of the Council, Councillor Ian Brookfield, said: “The One City Fund was created, in response to the spirit of generosity shown throughout the city, to give people a simple way to contribute to the city’s efforts to support vulnerable residents during the pandemic and make sure no-one gets left behind.
“I’d like to thank everyone who donated to the One City Fund campaigns, the organisations the fund is supporting provide a vital lifeline for people across our city. I’m delighted to say that each of the campaigns exceeded their individual targets, demonstrating the resilient, caring and community-spirited nature of our city.”
Deputy Chief Executive of Wolverhampton Voluntary Sector Council, Saffi Price, added: “Wolverhampton’s One City Fund has shown, once again, how kind and generous the people of Wolverhampton are. Voluntary and Community Sector organisations have come together to help make the most of this crowdfunding campaign as they continue to support citizens in Wolverhampton who have felt the greatest impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
WVSC are very pleased to have played a part; working alongside other VCS organisations and statutory agencies. I know that we will all continue to work together as a city to ensure that no-one is left behind.”
Spacehive, the crowdfunding platform powering Crowdfund Wolves, waived its 5% fee for all projects created during lockdown, which means all monies raised will go directly to local third sector organisations.
The Leader of City of Wolverhampton Council, Councillor Ian Brookfield, and some of the charities supported by the One City Fund campaigns, have also put together this message to thank everyone who donated to the campaigns. This video is available here.